What We Do
Our mission is to build a model sustainable campus through community engagement and collaborative action. We strive to foster growth of a culture of sustainability throughout all areas of campus life—education, research, operations, governance and community engagement. The Office of Sustainability:
- Oversees implementation of initiatives from the Campus Sustainability Plan and other sustainability-related plans;
- Advises university units on how to minimize their sustainability impacts and use university resources most efficiently;
- Acts as resource for University Plan 2025 and the President's Sustainability Council;
- Oversees our greenhouse gas reporting;
- Oversees sustainability performance reporting using STARS.
- Develops programs, tools, resources and hosts events to build awareness of sustainability issues and practices to catalyze change;
- Supports student sustainability initiatives;
- Coordinates learning opportunities for students to use campus operations to learn about sustainability issues and propose actionable solutions for the university;
- Identifies opportunities for sustainability-related academic research using campus operations as a living laboratory;
- Fosters partnerships and collaboration to maximize opportunities for working together across boundaries on sustainability;
- Identifies practices to embed sustainability in planning, decision-making and other aspects of governance.
- Provides support for the Sustainability Revolving Fund.
The Office of Sustainability is a group of dedicated individuals who strive to bring about positive change not only at our university, but throughout our community. Please do not hesitate to contact us, as sharing knowledge through open communication allows our community to work together more effectively.
Chief Sustainability Officer
As the University of Saskatchewan's first Chief Sustainability Officer, Janelle leads the implementation of our Sustainability Strategy 2021 - 2030: Critical Path to Sustainability and assists leaders across the organization with moving the work of the sustainability strategy forward. Janelle works with individuals within key portfolios with specific responsibilities for academic/curriculum, research/discovery, institutional operations and external engagement to implement the strategy.
Additionally, Janelle is responsible for institutional-level sustainability work such as reporting on the success of the strategy and other sustainability-related initiatives, coordinating governance and advisory tables, creating and managing policy and procedures, leading communications strategies, and representing the university to external stakeholders.
Community Engagement Co-ordinator
Matt works with staff, faculty, and students to facilitate the development of a strong culture of sustainability that is visible throughout campus. By supporting and carrying out the Campus Sustainability Plan's Community Engagment objectives, he helps to achieve the Plan's goal of having all members of the campus community intentionally choosing and initiating sustainable behaviour in all areas of campus life.
Energy and Emissions Officer
Vasily develops initiatives and implements strategies to conserve energy and reduce the university’s greenhouse gas emissions. He works towards enhancing practices on campus as they relate to energy management in such areas as facilities, campus utilities, solid waste, water, transportation, infrastructure, and equipment. The Energy and Emissions Officer also oversees the Climate Action Plan and other related initiatives that strive toward achieving sustainable energy consumption on campus.
Sustainability Student Interns
The Office of Sustainability believes that students play a critical part in sustainability. As such, it offers a number of student intern positions every year. Student positions range from assisting with operations projects to conserve energy and water to engagement activities such as planning sustainability-related events and campaigns on campus.