What We Do
Our mission is to build a model sustainable campus through community engagement and collaborative action. We strive to foster growth of a culture of sustainability throughout all areas of campus life—education, research, operations, governance and community engagement. The Office of Sustainability:
- Oversees implementation of initiatives from the Campus Sustainability Plan and other sustainability-related plans;
- Advises university units on how to minimize their sustainability impacts and use university resources most efficiently;
- Acts as resource for University Plan 2025 and the President's Sustainability Council;
- Oversees our greenhouse gas reporting;
- Oversees sustainability performance reporting using STARS.
- Develops programs, tools, resources and hosts events to build awareness of sustainability issues and practices to catalyze change;
- Supports student sustainability initiatives;
- Coordinates Sustainability Living Lab learning opportunities for students to use campus operations to learn about sustainability issues and propose actionable solutions for the university;
- Identifies opportunities for sustainability-related academic research using campus operations as a living laboratory;
- Fosters partnerships and collaboration to maximize opportunities for working together across boundaries on sustainability;
- Identifies practices to embed sustainability in planning, decision-making and other aspects of governance.
- Provides support for the Sustainability Revolving Fund.
The Office of Sustainability is a group of dedicated individuals who strive to bring about positive change not only at our university, but throughout our community. Please do not hesitate to contact us, as sharing knowledge through open communication allows our community to work together more effectively.
Margret facilitates the integration of sustainability concepts and inquiry into education and research. This includes co-ordinating the Sustainability Living Lab which provides students with projects that address campus sustainability issues and challenges for project-based courses. Margret oversees implementation of Campus Sustainability Plan education and research initiatives, one of which is the development of professional development opportunities for faculty wishing to integrate sustainability into their curriculum. Margret also provides guest lectures on sustainability for a variety of classes.
Sustainability Initiatives Co-ordinator
Erin works to integrate sustainability into all aspects of university operations by facilitating changes to day-to-day activities, planning, and decision-making across campus. She works directly with various work units to review existing practices and facilitate positive change. She supports the Sustainability Revolving Fund and the Work Green program.
Community Engagement Co-ordinator
Matt works with staff, faculty, and students to facilitate the development of a strong culture of sustainability that is visible throughout campus. By supporting and carrying out the Campus Sustainability Plan's Community Engagment objectives, he helps to achieve the Plan's goal of having all members of the campus community intentionally choosing and initiating sustainable behaviour in all areas of campus life.
Waste Prevention Co-ordinator
Odili (or just Obi) is in charge of managing Facilities Management's single-stream recycling program and works closely with the Office of Sustainability. His position includes both operational and managerial components and ensures that recycling on campus stays accessible and effective.
Sustainability Student Interns
The Office of Sustainability believes that students play a critical part in sustainability. As such, they offer a number of student intern positions every year. Student positions range from assisting with operations projects to conserve energy and water to engagement activities such as planning sustainability-related events and campaigns on campus.
Sydney Boulton - Community Engagement Intern